Hello. My name is Darlene Veenhuizen. A foodie through and through, the day job feeds the night job…cooking! I regularly put my household and two cats through all kinds of kitchen blunders, adventures and successes! I live in Corvallis, OR, but often travel to Portland. Local ingredients, global palette, and a love for all things FOOD!
A few of my “things”:
1. Making things from scratch whenever possible (my friends refer to my method as “Darlene-ing it”, a verb, meaning to do whatever it takes to create the most delicious final product with ingredients that are homemade in your kitchen. Homemade pie crust, with a homemade peach filling and homemade ice cream? A Darlene standard. Store bought frozen pie crust and canned filling? Wouldn’t be caught dead with it.
2. I like to know what is in my food. (See #1) So I don’t take too kindly to preservatives and other crap I can’t pronounce.
3. Creativity. I love to come up with new flavor combinations and different ways to do things. See my recipes section for details!
4. I love to be smart about things. This means I’m always on the lookout for a better price on a quality ingredient, a smarter way to do something, and tips that can save you time and money in the kitchen… and the freezer is your friend… oh yes… a good friend.
5. Flavor! After all, if there’s no flavor, you might as well eat cardboard.
6. And of course, I am absolutely positively OBSESSED about food. I hope you share my passion.